There is nothing better than mother’s milk for a young baby. However, very few mothers are even aware of breast feeding benefits for mothers’ themselves.
Let us look at some of the main benefits of breast feeding for mothers of a new born, that even many specialists of birth and babies aren’t aware of:-
- The suckling action of babies stimulates the release of oxytocin hormone which causes the breast to allow the flow of stored milk in the breasts. This hormone causes the uterus to contract, which helps in postpartum healing by reducing the risk of bleeding and helps uterus to return to its original shape and size.
- Breastfeeding delays the menstruation cycle from returning. So, while the mothers who do not breastfeed their child, usually observe the next menstrual cycle, post delivery within 6 to 8 months, whereas the mothers who regularly breastfeed their baby can delay the menstrual cycle return to about an year after delivery. This allows the mothers to regain her stores of iron and reduce the chances of developing iron deficiency or anemia.
- Many young mothers are very skeptic of breastfeeding due the breast leaking or nipple reddening problems associated with it. However, they don’t know that this is a small price as breastfeeding considerably decreases the chances of acquiring breast, uterine and ovarian cancers. Also, leaking of milk from breasts can be prevented by using breast pads.
- The probability of acquiring diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol is also reduced by breastfeeding. It also reduces the chances of developing rheumatoid arthritis.
- Young mothers who don’t want to get pregnant again, any time soon should also breastfeed their babies, as it reduces ovulation and hence prevents a mother’s fertility. However, the period of fertility depends on the nursing patterns of the mother.
- Researchers have also revealed that breastfeeding helps to reduce the mother’s risk of developing any heart disease, or heart attacks or strokes.
- Prolactin hormone is released during breastfeeding which is responsible for milk production. However, this hormone is also responsible for calming and sedating effect on the mother. This relaxes her and allows her to fall asleep very quickly, so that she can sleep easily after being tired by nursing her baby.
- Breastfeeding is also good for health cautious women, as it consumes 200-500 calories per day. So, this helps mothers regain their pre-pregnancy shape earlier.